Safeguarding Online provides courses on child abuse prevention and sexual harassment or sexual exploitation prevention in the church setting. All church leaders are encouraged to complete courses. Clergy, lay employees, and certain volunteers (especially those who work with children and youth) are required to complete certain courses. If additional direction is needed, contact the Diocesan Office at (920) 830-8866.
The policy of the Diocese of Fond du Lac is that Child Abuse and Sexual Misconduct by a Church Worker shall not be tolerated. The diocese shall employ procedures to implement this policy that:
Background Check Resources
It is a best practice to conduct a background check. The level of background check depends on the position and level of supervision. A background check of all clergy in the diocese is obtained by the Diocesan Office. Local congregations are responsible for conducting background checks on lay employees and volunteers. There is no "one-size fits all." If direction is needed as to what to do, contact the Diocesan Office.
- Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, state.wi.us, (800) 398-2403 - No cost - Determine if individuals are on registry.
- Wisconsin Online Record Check System, wi-recordcheck.org, (608) 266-9398 - Costs - Criminal background, retrieve results online. May submit after creating an account or anonymously (can't retrieve results online).
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, wcca.wicourts.gov - No cost - Certain public records
- DOJ Background Check Information, doj.state.wi.us - Information about Wisconsin checks
- Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles Records Request, dot.wisconsin.gov - Cost - obtain vehicle or driver record information