Best practice is to conduct a background check. The depth of the check depends on position and supervision.
- A background check of clergy in the diocese is conducted by the Diocesan Office.
- Congregations are responsible for conducting background checks on lay employees and volunteers.
The Diocesan Office is able to process professional background checks through Praesidium Services at reduced prices. The Confidence Package is recommended for all who are in supervisory roles and suggested for others who work with children, youth or other vulnerable populations.
- Confidence Package ($23.00), suitable for most purposes. Includes a SSN Address Trace, County Criminal Search, and Multi State Criminal & National Sex Offender Database Search.
- Ala Carte services are available as needed based on position. These include
- Employment Credit Check
- Additional County Criminal Records Search
- County Civil Records Search
- Motor Vehicle Records Search
- Education Verification
- Professional Reference
- Personal Reference
- Employment Verification
- Social Media
Additional self-conducted checks are also available. This list is provided as a resource.
- Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, state.wi.us, (800) 398-2403 - No cost - Determine if individuals are on registry.
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, wcca.wicourts.gov - No cost - Certain public records
- Wisconsin Online Record Check System, wi-recordcheck.org, (608) 266-9398 - Costs - Criminal background, retrieve results online. May submit after creating an account or anonymously (can't retrieve results online).
- DOJ Background Check Information, doj.state.wi.us - Information about Wisconsin checks
A number of additional resources related to Safe Church, Safe Communities are available for use.
- Episcopal Church - Safe Church, episcopalchurch.org/safe-church.
- Faith Trust Institute, faithtrustinstitute.org.
- Childhelp USA Abuse Hotline, (800) 422-4453, childhelp.org
- Prevent Child Abuse America, (800) CHILDREN, (312) 663-3520, preventchildabuse.org
- National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information, Child abuse reporting hotlines by state.