BACKGROUND CHECK RESOURCES
Best practice is to conduct a background check. The background check level depends on position and supervision. There is no "one-size fits all." If direction is needed as to what to do, contact the Diocesan Office.
- A background check of all clergy in the diocese is conducted by the Diocesan Office.
- Congregations are responsible for conducting background checks on lay employees and volunteers.
- Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, state.wi.us, (800) 398-2403 - No cost - Determine if individuals are on registry.
- Wisconsin Online Record Check System, wi-recordcheck.org, (608) 266-9398 - Costs - Criminal background, retrieve results online. May submit after creating an account or anonymously (can't retrieve results online).
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, wcca.wicourts.gov - No cost - Certain public records
- DOJ Background Check Information, doj.state.wi.us - Information about Wisconsin checks
- Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles Records Request, dot.wisconsin.gov - Cost - obtain vehicle or driver record information
- Episcopal Church - Safe Church, episcopalchurch.org/safe-church.
- Faith Trust Institute, faithtrustinstitute.org.
- Childhelp USA Abuse Hotline, (800) 422-4453, childhelpusa.org
- Prevent Child Abuse America, (800) CHILDREN, (312) 663-3520, preventchildabuse.org
- National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information, Child abuse reporting hotlines by state.