Safeguarding Online provides courses on child abuse prevention and sexual harassment or sexual exploitation prevention in the church setting. All church leaders are encouraged to complete courses. Clergy, lay employees, and certain volunteers (especially those who work with children and youth) are required to complete certain courses. If additional direction is needed, contact the Diocesan Office at (920) 830-8866.
The policy of the Diocese of Fond du Lac is that Child Abuse and Sexual Misconduct by a Church Worker shall not be tolerated. The diocese shall employ procedures to implement this policy that:
Background Check Resources
It is a best practice to conduct a background check. The level of background check depends on the position and level of supervision. A background check of all clergy in the diocese is obtained by the Diocesan Office. Local congregations are responsible for conducting background checks on lay employees and volunteers. There is no "one-size fits all." If direction is needed as to what to do, contact the Diocesan Office.
- Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, state.wi.us, (800) 398-2403 - No cost - Determine if individuals are on registry.
- Wisconsin Online Record Check System, wi-recordcheck.org, (608) 266-9398 - Costs - Criminal background, retrieve results online. May submit after creating an account or anonymously (can't retrieve results online).
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, wcca.wicourts.gov - No cost - Certain public records
- DOJ Background Check Information, doj.state.wi.us - Information about Wisconsin checks
- Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles Records Request, dot.wisconsin.gov - Cost - obtain vehicle or driver record information
Who Needs COURSES?
All church leaders who perform a specific job or duty for the church, whether employee or volunteer. Courses benefit both the individual and the church as a whole. It makes a “safer” church!
- Anyone in a leadership position – for example wardens, vestry members, committee chairs, choir directors.
- Anyone who works with children – for example youth group volunteers, Sunday School teachers, Vacation Bible School leaders, nursery workers.
- Anyone who works with children and took child abuse prevention courses over three years ago – it’s time for a refresher!
What to Take
Courses to take depends on the role and involvement. Take any course at any time. Each takes 10-15 minutes. There are interactive questions, audio and some video. Not all have to be completed in one sitting. When completed, a Certificate of Completion may be printed and filed in the church office.
Child Abuse Prevention Courses
SET A: Those who completed courses over three years ago
SET B: Those who have never completed these courses
B1–Occasional volunteers under supervision (Sunday School teachers, nursery worker every few months, parent assisting youth event)
SET C: [Taken in addition to Set A or Set B] Clergy, lay employees and volunteers in a special setting
C1–Diocesan summer camp staff
Adult Misconduct Prevention Courses
SET D: Clergy, lay employees, volunteers in leadership (example, wardens, vestry, Executive Council)
SET E: [Taken in addition to Set C]. Clergy, lay employees and volunteers in a special setting.
E1–Regular in a specialized ministry (e.g. feeding program)