The policy of the Diocese of Fond du Lac is that Child Abuse and Sexual Misconduct by a Church Worker shall not be tolerated. The diocese shall employ procedures to implement this policy that:
All church leaders are encouraged to complete coursework to help us be a safer church. Clergy, lay employees, and certain volunteers (especially those who work with children and youth) are required to complete certain courses. If additional direction is needed, contact the Diocesan Office at (920) 830-8866.
All church leaders who perform a job or duty for the church, whether employee or volunteer, should complete courses. These benefit the individual and the church as a whole, making a “safer” church!
What to Take
Courses to complete depend on your role in church work. A course list is below. There are supplemental courses which may be completed to create a safer church. Some congregations or entities may ask you to complete one or more of these courses.
You are welcome to take any course at any time. Each takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. There are interactive questions, audio and video. Not all have to be completed in one sitting. A Certificate of Completion may be printed and filed in the church office.
SET A: All persons who completed child abuse prevention courses over three years ago.
SET B: All persons who have not completed child abuse prevention courses in Praesidium Academy.
SET C: All persons who work with children or youth in a special setting.
SET D: All persons in a church leadership position (examples: warden, vestry member.
SET E: All persons who work with adults in a special setting.
E1–All persons who work regularly in a specialized ministry (examples: feeding program, thrift shop).
Additional courses for a safer church. Some congregations or ministries may require completion of some of these.
- Policies: The Episcopal Church Model Policy for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults
- Policies: The Episcopal Church Model Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth
- Recognizing Abuse and Exploitation in Elder Serving Programs
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Abuse & Neglect
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Bullying
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Healthy Boundaries
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Introduction & Theological Background
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Organizational Rules & Policies