The Rev. Glenn Kanestrom, Rector of St. Paul’s, Marinette shared that they are in a “season of celebrations that highlight who we are and what we do best-worship, music and great food.”
The “season” began August 25th when the congregation held a “Brats & Bluegrass” festival as an informal celebration of the anniversary and a time to “burn the mortgage” for the new wing completed in 2002. The official celebration for past and present parishioners is to be a formal dinner on Saturday October 7th at 6pm at the Little River Country Club. Wrapping up the celebration is a Choral Evensong presented by the St. Paul’s Choir on October 15th at 7:00 pm which will feature various pieces composed by a former parishioner. All are warmly invited to attend.
St. Paul’s was established as a mission congregation of the Diocese of Wisconsin in 1873. Services were led by a priest who periodically came to the area from Green Bay. Sadly, the two halls rented by the congregation burned down the following year. It was in 1881 that the cornerstone was laid for the new church on land donated by Isaac Stephenson. Again, tragedy struck in 1886 when the church was struck by lightning, destroying the spire and tower, and damaging the interior. St. Paul’s was reopened in 1887 and renovations were completed in 1912 when the original structure was enlarged and encased in brick and stucco in the English Gothic style. In 1965 a new parish hall was built which provided office space, Sunday School rooms and a larger gathering space. In 1994 a new quarter of a million-dollar Jaeckel tracker organ was installed, and the sanctuary rebuilt. In 2002 a new wing was completed to provide a beautiful entryway into the church and to meet ADA requirements. This year the church has successfully raised over $17,000 to install a new sound system to be completed in October.
Kanestrom notes, “Through all the changes that have come in our history, we’ve laid a solid spiritual foundation for many in our area. It’s marvelous to celebrate the fact that St. Paul’s has been a loving and vital congregation here in Marinette for many